Hello! My name is Kate. I am a documentary-style wedding photographer who strives to capture the art that exists in genuine interactions, without excessive styling or direction. I let intuition guide me and am pulled to the moments and beautiful imperfections that punctuate your wedding day. Sometimes that means a photo mid-laugh, but sometimes it means I've noticed an irresistible puddle of light where I'm itching to make a portrait.
I'll capture colorful swirls of chaos, peaceful moments of structured serendipity, the quiet subtleties, and everything in between. I'm an observant fly on the wall but am prepared at any moment to jump in and be a decisive, calming presence without needing to be asked.
I live in Richmond, Virginia with my very left-brained other half, Nick. When I'm not splitting time between coasts to photograph weddings and families, I run a branding studio with my sister Anna called Palindrome Creative Co. and plan an annual family photography workshop in New Orleans with four other women called The Family Narrative. And when I'm not working, you can find me cooking, reading, or tending to my beehives.
Your relationships are unique and inspiring to me. Let's get to know one another to discuss how we can collaborate to make photographs that tell the true story of your wedding and become a visual narrative for your family to enjoy for years to come. Sound good?
[ If you're curious, Betty Clicker is a nickname I was given as a child. I think of it as my photography alias and figurative superwoman cape. Quality time is my currency, and calm is my superpower. ]
Life is about relationships. Listening to my clients is essential to my creative process and allows me to make honest photographs that connect our visions, match personality to portraiture, and establish trust. I strive to make photographs that broaden our emotional repertoire, encourage nostalgia, and show the importance of slowing down and being present. I'm inspired by the art that exists in genuine moments of connection between people and their environment and enjoy working with couples who are not afraid to trust me.
I do my best work when I am given the creative space to be myself. Since I will be with you during every tear, knowing look, and moment of vulnerability, sometimes I'll feel like a friend. At other times I might seem like a fly on the wall.. or a guest. My best wedding photographs have come from pure moments of spontaneity - not from a shot list or strict schedule. Couples who trust and give me free reign to document their celebration are the couples whose photos take you right back to what it felt like to be there at the wedding.
full & partial day wedding photography
rehearsal dinner photography
custom-designed fine art albums
professional archival prints
Choosing the right wedding photographer is arguably the most important investment you'll make as you plan your wedding. You may look at dozens of websites and portfolios and feel lost in the world of options. You may feel overwhelmed by all the talent out there, resulting in feeling like you're comparing apples to apples. Each photographer has a unique skill set to offer, and there are so many of us out there!
Let me help by sharing a few things that make my work a little different from others:
- I am an introvert and understand how uncomfortable it is to be the center of attention. I've got a handful of tricks to help you relax.
- I shoot a roll or two of film at most every wedding as a creative exercise and a gift to you!
- I'm a feminist who does not care about traditional gender roles. Inclusivity is very important to me.
- Quality time is my currency. I will be a resource to you throughout planning and will make every effort for us to meet in person and get to know you.
Please inquire for full-day, partial-day and elopement rates. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
or fill out an inquiry form on the 'CONTACT' page to request a detailed pricing guide.
"If you are anything like us, you’re perhaps feeling a bit overwhelmed by the plethora of excellent wedding photographer options out there. There are so many great ones, all of whom seem to have wonderful websites with beautiful photos of happy smiling people! How does one choose? After a lot of hand-wringing and weighing different options, we decided to go with Betty Clicker Photography. We think, unequivocally, you should, too. Here are a few reasons why:
1. Personality. Kate is a fantastic person to work with. Very clear and responsive. A good listener who asks good questions and is genuinely interested in learning about your goals and hopes for your wedding (and its photos). She also is a calming, friendly and unpretentious presence to have following you around on your wedding day.
2. Unobtrusiveness. On the day of the wedding, itself, Kate somehow manages to get great shots without “being in the way.” This is presumably a skill she’s honed in the many years she’s been doing this line of work. It allows her to get great candid shots.
3. Diversity of Talents. Having looked at many wedding photography websites, it sometimes becomes clear when a photographer is really adept at taking a certain type of photograph. Some, for instance, have beautiful candid shots but somewhat stilted family portrait photos. Kate has a tremendous eye for both. Scroll through Kate's website and notice how there are family and individual portraits that capture the light and scenery beautifully. At our wedding, we didn’t know where we wanted to take family portraits, but Kate arrived at the venue and quickly found the ideal spot. The portraits she took were gorgeous. She used some nearby tree branches to frame the photos and they came out looking so, so good. Notice also how many great candid photos of small, intimate moments she features on her website. She has such a good eye for that and is willing to be creative to get the shot. At our wedding, she noticed one of my wife’s bridesmaids standing alone on a balcony. Realizing it would make for a great candid shot, she managed to sneak behind a tree and snap an amazing photo.
Clearly, we were very happy with our decision to hire Kate. We think you will be, too."
- David & Emma, Orcas Island, July 2017
For more reviews, please Google search "Betty Clicker Photography" and peruse my business reviews page!
What is your travel policy?
About half of the weddings I photograph are outside of Virginia. I love to travel and have been fortunate enough to document weddings in India, Iceland, the Caribbean, and all over the USA. Weddings within an hour's drive of Richmond, Virginia require no travel fees. A flat, no-fuss rate is applied to weddings outside that radius regardless of whether it requires a car trip or plane ride.
How can we book you?
A retainer fee of 50% and signed contract is required to book me as your photographer. The remaining balance is due any time on or before your wedding date. After that, we'll start collaborating on timeline and structuring your day around the most ideal lighting situations for photography.
When and how will we receive our images?
You will receive a link to an online gallery with hi-res digital downloads 6-8 weeks after your wedding. The majority of my office time is spent on color correcting and post processing, so you can be sure that the utmost care is taken with each image.
Do we have rights to the files?
You will have full printing rights to your photographs! If you choose to share photos online (which I encourage. . . just no cropping or re-editing please) please remember to credit Kate Thompson and/or Betty Clicker Photography.
Do you offer prints and albums?
YES! And I encourage each and every one of my clients to print their wedding photos. Make the most of your investment by printing your photos rather than letting them sit and collect dust on a hard drive! If you don't order an album with your initial wedding package, you'll receive a PDF with album and print pricing with your wedding photo delivery. Our studio offers custom-designed albums by a professional graphic designer and prints on gallery-quality paper with archival inks.
Thank you so much for taking the time to learn about what I do!
I look forward to hearing from you!
email@example.com / @bettyclicker / 540.293.1484
Learn about my other projects outside of wedding photography
I am one of four women who co-founded an annual retreat in New Orleans for experienced family photographers that brings together the best and the brightest in the industry. The Family Narrative was an idea born out of wanting to inspire and create community with other family photographers, and create a workshop that we'd want to attend ourselves as seasoned photographers. Our 4-day workshop is hosted annually in New Orleans. Our goal is to offer established photographers a place to commune with their peers, push through burnout, learn from each other and leave feeling inspired and invigorated. Coming to Australia in summer 2018!
Palindrome Creative Co. is a boutique branding studio based in Richmond, VA that began as a collaboration between me + my sister Anna. With shared sensibilities and backgrounds in graphic design, publishing and photography, our studio aims to empower clients with a visual vocabulary needed to enhance their narrative. We rely on an intuitive aesthetic and a penchant for nostalgia to design compelling visuals that bring ideas to life. Our studio is positioned as a one-stop shop for businesses looking for branding and cohesive visuals with services including logo/graphics, interior design, and photography.